About this course
The Foundation in Construction and the Built Environment provides a broad introduction to construction and the built environment. It has been developed for individuals working in or intending to work, in the sectors.
It is aimed at learners in work-based learning, further education, and school 6th forms. This qualification will enable learners to go on to study a range of other construction and Building Services Engineering (Plumbing and Heating / Electrical Installation / Refrigeration) courses relevant to their trade interest area
It may be taken either as a full-time programme of learning that is usually delivered over one year, or as a part-time programme of learning as part of an apprenticeship framework.
What you will study
All learners will complete core units which supports learners to develop an introductory knowledge and understanding of:
- an introduction to the construction and built environment sectors
- the built environment life cycle, the job roles within it, and the dependencies between people performing those roles
- how to promote and sustain health and safety for oneself and others; and
- employability skills relevant to future work.
In addition to these ‘core’ units, learners will study two trade pathways and spend time learning skills which will include planning, performing, and evaluating common tasks.
Wall & Floor Tiling: This part of the course will show you how to gain an understanding and practical experience of wall and floor tiling within the construction industry. The qualification covers a range of hand-skills and practical tasks regarding cutting and fixing wall and floor tiles.
Plumbing and Domestic Heating: The purpose of this unit is for learners to explore the cold, hot and heating systems within a domestic property and the basic pipework competences that underpin work on these systems. Learners will have the opportunity to plan and create their own pipework installation using a variety of materials, jointing methods and bending techniques.
You will study in our dedicated construction centres and facilities. These include classrooms for theory and huge trade-specific workshops where you develop your practical skills each week using industry standard tools and equipment.
Your course assessment comprises of set assignments that are used to gauge your skills development and end of year assessment, including practical skills tests and online exams.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
- Students must be at least 16 years old
- New students will have an interview/placement test before starting their course to ensure that they are placed at the correct level
- Desirable for candidates to have 3 GCSEs A-D to include Maths
- Desirable to hold a Level 1 Diploma in Construction Skills and have relevant experience in the trade
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course you can go on to complete the full 2-year Extended Diploma. Many students progress onto courses at university, others go directly into employment. CAVC offers a HNC in Sport Coaching which if competed successfully leads on to a top up at Cardiff Metropolitan University to complete the full degree course.
Need to know