About this course
Our BTEC 540 diploma and extended diploma in Multimedia Design (Interactive Media) is a good opportunity to further their progress into the creative sector. It’s a two-year course and over the length of the course you will achieve two qualifications. At the end of the first year you will receive a 540 Diploma and at the end of the 2nd year you will achieve a full extended diploma. This should give you more than enough UCAS points should you decide to progress to Higher Education. We are based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, this programme offers students a chance to learn a variety of approaches to Multimedia design, as well as covering elements of graphic design. Learners can expect to develop a range of skills related to their individual area of interest and creative potential. Multimedia / Interactive Media is one of the biggest growth areas. It encompasses subjects such as Filming, video editing, animation, video FX, graphic, web and app design plus other design related disciplines.
What you will study
The carefully selected projects will allow you to respond creatively to design briefs allowing you to get a taste of specialist areas such as:
- Adobe Creative Suite training
- App Design UX/UI Design
- Audio / Video FX / Motion Graphics
- Video Editing / Post Production
- Graphic Design / communication
- Essential Skills Wales - Application of Number, ICT, Communications
Project 1 A1 - Application training
Project 2 A2 - UX/UI Design
Project 3 B1 - Personal Progression (A variety of disciplines in one project, Online portfolio build, animation, video FX etc).
Project 4 B2 - Final Major Project (Student led project).
Students will work on a variety of projects, giving the students a wide array of basic skills in software such as Adobe After Effects, XD (app building software), Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Audition, Garage Band, Animate etc. Over the course of the two years you will complete four units. These units can be made up of smaller bite size projects. For example, a unit on animation. The department has an extensive array of computer facilities and equipment. You don’t have to have previous knowledge of any software but it would be an advantage if you did.
5 GCSEs A* - C including English Language or Maths or a Level 2 Diploma in this discipline at Pass grade or higher. You must attend an interview.
Teaching and assessment
- Coursework assessment including written assignments and practical assessments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
The teaching was amazing I just felt very supported. There was always that 1:1 tutoring that I really needed when I didn’t have much confidence. The facilities of the College were excellent, every year we had new technology and equipment we could explore, I felt my skills were really developing from that.
Career prospects & further study
From this course you can progress on to University. Progress to work industry within Animation, Motion Graphics, UX/UI Design, Film, Film Post Production, 3D Modelling, Web, Games Design, VFX Artist.
Need to know