About this course
Our UAL Level 2 Award and Diploma in Art and Design is the perfect foundation for developing your knowledge, for individuals who are keen to pursue a career in the creative industries. This programme will provide students with a broad overview of working towards creative intentions, as well as practical experience of using a wide range of materials and techniques. Studying in the College's dedicated studios and multimedia suites, students will gain a broad overview of working towards creative intentions, as well as practical experience of using a wide range of materials and techniques. Successful completion of this course will enable students to progress onto Level 3 at the college.
This programme teaches a range of specialist Art and Design practices. Students will study the foundation skills of art and design, such as exploring formal elements and generating observational drawings. The course aims to develop contextual knowledge of Art and Design, in order to enable students to appreciate the work of other artists and to find their own influences.
What you will study
Areas of Art and Design which are studied include:
- Fine Art
- 3D Design
- Graphic Design
There are two timed examinations within this qualification, which provides students with the opportunity to engage in a client brief and to develop an outcome. This invaluable experience mirrors the practical, real life scenario that the majority of successful, practicing artists face during their careers.
4 GCSEs A* - D including English Language or Maths or a Level 1 qualification in Art & Design. You must attend an interview. You must resit GCSE English Language or Maths if Grade D or less.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment including practical assessment and coursework
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
My highlight of this course is learning to sew and being able to explore all of the themes that I wanted to and producing a really cool cowboy project. My plans after college are to go to Brighton University and study fashion design and business studies so that I can then go on to potentially own a store. This course allowed me to find my specialty and, with the support from my tutors, I was able to learn and refine my skills.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course, successful candidates may have the option to continue onto the Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design. Many students also pursue employment apprenticeships within the industry.
Need to know