About this course
The Photography A2 programme follows on from AS Photography and should be taken in conjunction with two or three other subjects and the Welsh Baccalaureate.
Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, learners may be able to take this qualification as a part-time student.
What you will study
Unit 2: Coursework Portfolio
You will be encouraged to develop areas of personal interest within this unit, using a wide range of source materials & processes. This may include digital media, 35mm film or any other lens based medium. Themes may include fashion, studio still life, landscape, documentary, fine art or portraiture. All practical developmental works are displayed in a research workbook or digital workbooks, including other appropriate contextual influences, gallery visit information and written analysis.
- Group critique sessions.
- Submission of a research digital workbook and final images.
- 1000-3000 word written analysis.
Unit 3: Externally Set Assignment
The themes for this unit are set each year by the exam board. The work explored in this unit provides opportunity to experiment with visual ideas. You will be encouraged to experiment with a range of processes and materials to generate imaginative and original imagery. All practical work is supported by the production of a digital research workbook charting creative and contextual development.
- Group critique sessions.
- This unit incorporates a 15 hour practical supervised assessment.
- Submission of a digital research workbook and final images.
Successful completion of AS programme including satisfactory attendance and tutor recommendation.
Teaching and assessment
Assessment and practical assignment
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
“I definitely think the College has helped me achieve my goals. It's been a really great, supportive learning environment. I've really enjoyed studying all of my courses. I think it's a really nice environment to study in.
Career prospects & further study
On completion of the A Level programme, the majority of our students progress onto universities across the country and beyond. Based on this course, there are many options but below are just a few examples of degree programmes you could go on to study at University:
- Business and Management
- Graphic Design
- Media Studies
Need to know