About this course
The Business Studies AS Level programme is a one-year course of study and should be taken in conjunction with two or three other subjects and the Welsh Baccalaureate.
Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, learners may be able to take this qualification as a part-time student.
What you will study
AS-level Business Studies encourage learners to:
- Develop an enthusiasm for studying business
- Gain an holistic understanding of business in a range of contexts
- Develop a critical understanding of organisations and their ability to meet society’s needs and wants
- Understand that business behaviour can be studied from a range of perspectives
- Generate enterprising and creative approaches to business opportunities, problems and issues
- Be aware of the dilemmas and responsibilities faced by organisations and stakeholders
- Acquire a range of relevant business related skills, including decision making, problem-solving, the ability to work with others and improving your own performance
There will be two exams. The first one will focus on business opportunities and the second will focus on business functions including Marketing, Finance and People and Operations Management.
Individual Subject Entry Requirement Maths minimum: B
Teaching and assessment
Two written exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
"I love studying my course at Cardiff and the Vale College. It is so much fun ! The amount of independence and freedom you get is brilliant and you're treated like an adult,
I honestly love it. At the college I've enjoyed the close relationships I have with my teachers. I genuinely feel like I can go to my teachers with any issue that I’m having and they will really help me work through them."
Career prospects & further study
On completion of the A Level programme, the majority of our students progress onto universities across the country and beyond. Based on this course, there are many options but below are just a few examples of degree programmes you could go on to study at University:
- Business Studies
- Hospitality, Leisure, And Tourism
- Human Resource Management
- Management Studies
Need to know