About this course
Our OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma is a one-year full time course designed for learners considering a future career in the science industry. Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, this is a vocational programme delivering a wide range of theoretical and practical skills to develop learners’ understanding and knowledge of scientific principles. Studying in the College's dedicated classrooms and facilities, students who gain a merit or distinction may also progress to a more specialised Level 3 Vocational course i.e. BTEC Level 3 Applied Science, or on to A Level Sciences.
What you will study
Throughout the year learners will study the following 7 units:
- Unit 1 Science of the Earth
- Unit 2 Processing and Presenting Data in Science
- Unit 4 Practical Techniques in Science
- Unit 7 Food Production
- Unit 8 Science of Health
- Unit 10 Chemistry of Production
- Unit 15 Science of Telecommunication
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Individual Subject Entry Requirement Maths minimum: D English Language minimum: D Science at D among a minimum 4 GCSEs at D or above
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessments including written and practical assignments and exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Career prospects & further study
BTEC Level 3 National Diploma or Extended Diploma in Applied Science (requires minimum of Merit grade in addition to GCSE Maths and English requirements).
A Levels (requires minimum of Distinction grade in addition to GCSE Maths and English requirements).
Need to know