About this course
Our BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science is a qualification for post-16 learners who want to continue their science education through applied and practical learning, and whose aim is to progress either to university or employment in the science sector. Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, this programme is ideal for learners who have an interest in either being lab technicians, working in forensic, analytical or biomedical science, becoming a nurse or a paramedic or for learners who want to study general/applied science at University.
This is a two-year course. In Year 1, learners will achieve their Foundation Diploma in Applied Science. In Year 2, they will top-up to the Extended Diploma.
What you will study
Units covered in Year 1:
- Unit 1 Principles and Applications of Science I
- Unit 2 Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Unit 3 Science Investigation Skills
- Unit 4 Laboratory Techniques and their Application
- Unit 19 Chemical Detection and Analysis
- Unit 8 Physiology of Human Body Systems
Individual Subject Entry Requirement CC in Double Award or Merit in BTEC Science
Teaching and assessment
The course is assessed through a combination of internal and external assessment.
Internally assessed units comprise of 3-4 coursework assignments completed over the course of the academic year. Each assignment will address a different topic within the unit. All assignments must be submitted via Microsoft Teams by published deadlines to be valid.
External assessmentIn Year 1, Units 1 and 3 are set and marked by Pearson. Unit 1 comprises three written exams: Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. Unit 3 is a set task; learners are provided with practical data and assessed on their analytical and evaluation skills.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Career prospects & further study
Further study – biology, chemistry, biomedical science, forensic science, paramedic science, dentistry, etc.
Need to know