Access to Humanities (Literature, History & Media)
About this course
An Access course is an intense learning opportunity, aimed at adults who wish to study at university but don't necessarily have the qualifications to apply. An Access course would suit mature students with significant work and life experiences who have been out of formal education for 3 or more years. An Access Level 3 course is specifically designed to prepare students for study at university level.
This course will suit those who have an interest in exploring how we both create and view the world round us. This courses is suited to those who wish to study one of the following university degrees (NB this list is not exhaustive:
- Creative Writing
- Film Studies
- Social Policy
What you will study
You will study a range of modules within the subjects of Culture, English Literature & Media including:
- Culture & identity
- Ideologies of British cinema
- Media power & persuasion
- Political Influence in the mass media
- Changing ideas through images
- Novels, poetry, plays
- Shakespearean Drama
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
3 years or more out of formal education GCSE English C+ (if you are planning to become a teacher in Wales you will need B grades in both Maths and English GCSE) or IELTS Level 6 Please be aware that some universities have GCSE Maths and English entry requirements, and in some instances GCSE Science. Clear, well researched exit pathways, knowledge of university courses and entry requirements. Numeracy skills at level 2 Literacy skills at strong level 2 /preferably level 3. *Students should research and make sure that they meet the qualification entry requirements for their chosen universities. You will be asked to provide evidence of your qualifications before enrolling.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I think I have really grown in confidence on the course, and have gained basic skills which I didn’t have before, I left school at the begin in Year 11, so getting a C in maths and English at GCSE was a big deal for me, and it boosted my confidence.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course, successful candidates may progress within the college and go on to study for a Foundation Degree. Many students also pursue various employment opportunities within the industry, as well as a number of courses at University.
Need to know