About this course
This AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) professional level course is a higher-level accounting qualification. If you successfully complete this qualification and fulfil the AAT’s work experience requirements, you can apply for AAT full membership and achieve professional AAT Accountant status.
This flexible course is delivered in partnership with Mindful Education, and combines online learning with face-to-face lessons in the classroom.
What you will study
In this qualification you will cover higher accounting tasks including drafting financial statements, managing budgets and evaluating financial performance, as well as a range of optional specialist units.
On successful completion of this course, you will be awarded an AAT Level 4 Professional Diploma in Accounting. This internationally recognised AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) qualification enables those working in accounting or those who looking to pursue accountancy as a career to gain knowledge, practical experience and the all-important certification often sought by employers.
The Level 4 course covers a range of key areas, including:
- Management Accounting: Budgeting
- Management Accounting: Decision and Control
- Financial Statements of Limited Companies
- Accounting Systems and Controls
- Professional Diploma Synoptic Assessment
These core units of study are assessed at unit level. In addition, a synoptic assessment will ask students to apply knowledge and skills gained across the qualification in an integrated way, within a workplace context.
Optional units - select two of the following (subject to availability):
- Business tax
- Personal tax
- External auditing
- Cash and Treasury Management
- Credit Management
You will also develop business communications and lifelong learning skills, applying what you learn on the course to the wider industry context.
We have partnered with Mindful Education to deliver the core units of this course through our Online and On Campus model.
Online video lectures are available on demand, and can be viewed from your phone, tablet or computer, meaning you can choose how, when and where you want to study. Each lesson lasts around 60 minutes and is accompanied by animations and motion graphics to bring concepts to life. Exercises, interactive case studies and analytical tools help to enhance the learning experience further.
On campus, you benefit from regular college classes – without having to commit to attending multiple evenings each week. An experienced college tutor will discuss and reinforce what you have learnt during your online study and will be on hand to provide guidance on progress and assessment. Discussion and debate with classmates will help you apply theories to situations you face in the workplace.
This course is assessed through computer-based exams and a synoptic assessment, which draws on and assesses knowledge and understanding from across the qualification.
The accountancy skills developed by studying this qualification will enable you to seek employment with confidence, and/or to progress to study chartered accountancy.
Course fee per year
Part-time enrolment fee: £35.00
Course Fee: £1,595.00
Exam Fee: £315.00
Successful completion of AAT Level 3.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
When I came back into education I knew this was the place to go. Moodle is great and there’s a lot of content on there, any questions we have the tutors are very quick in responding.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course you can go on to complete the full 2-year Extended Diploma. Many students progress onto courses at university, others go directly into employment. CAVC offers a HNC in Sport Coaching which if competed successfully leads on to a top up at Cardiff Metropolitan University to complete the full degree course.