About this course
This qualification will provide individuals who have an interest in sport with an opportunity to develop their skills, knowledge and understanding to an advanced level. It will prepare learners to progress onto a range of other courses including Year 2 and other relevant sectors.
The course has a combination of theoretical and practical delivery, it is essential that learners engage in all methods of delivery.
3g Pitches including Cardiff Arms Park. Access to House of Sport which includes a multipurpose sports hall, athletics track and a multi-purpose gym and fitness studio.
The course is equivalent to 1.5 A Levels.
What you will study
The course will consist of 3 mandatory units which are:
- Exercise, health and lifestyle
- Preparing for a career in sport and physical activity
- Sports coaching
There are a further 6 optional units that must be completed, these can include:
- Practical Team Sports
- Principles of Fitness Testing
- Principles of Anatomy
- Sports Psychology
All Learners will also study Essential Skills Wales qualifications alongside their main qualification. Learners will also follow a tutorial programme of study.
5 GCSEs A* - C including English Language and/ or Maths (or equivalent) or relevant Level 2 qualification in Sport
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
My highlight of the college has to been meeting people who have just as much of passion for sport as myself, and the facilities. I really enjoy the practical sessions that we do on the course, including the sport coaching, research methods and human anatomy.
Career prospects & further study
Once course is complete learners are able to progress onto Year 2 Extended Diploma in Sport. The qualification will support learners who want to progress onto Higher Education, ultimately creating employment opportunities. Learners will also be able to consider coaching and apprentice opportunities.
Need to know