About this course
Our VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Hairdressing (QCF) is a technical level qualification for learners seeking a career as an employed and/or self employed hairdresser/stylist. This qualification is based on the Hairdressing National Occupational Standards (NOS), and is recognised by the UK's lead hairdressing professional association (The Hairdressing Council) as being fit for purpose for preparing learners for a career as a senior hairdresser/stylist.
Studying in the colleges fantastic facilities (including our vast commercial hairdressing salons), this qualification allows learners to build on their existing knowledge and understanding of hairdressing and will develop an enhanced repertoire of technical skills to prepare them for employment within the sector. Learners will work in the commercial salon and have their hairdressing skills assessed.
All learners will be required to always wear full Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) whilst in the salons and clinic. Full uniform, to be purchased by learner. This includes tunic, trousers and flat enclosed shoes.
What you will study
This qualification includes all the required elements to work effectively as an advanced hairdresser/stylist:
- Health & safety
- Client consultation
- Creative cutting
- Creatively colour hair
- Creatively style and dress hair
These units are all mandatory.
Learners will also further develop their understanding and skills by completing two optional specialist units at level 4:
- Hair colour correction
Promotion of products and services
Additional areas that are covered include;
Essential Skills in Literacy, Numeracy, Digital literacy and Employability.
A mix of blended learning – using Microsoft applications to support technology development to include personal development goals.
Opportunities to develop competition skills to enhance confidence and creativity.
Pressure test activities to stretch and challenge learning.
Students will be required to undertake a work placement as part of their full-time qualification, as well as having the opportunity to work within a busy commercial environment.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
Salon Fees: £30.00
Successful achievement in relevant Level 2 Diploma (Hair). Interview, successful skills test and satisfactory reference from Course Tutor indicating good behaviour, satisfactory attendance and progress. Prior Learning and work experience will also be considered.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessments and practical assessments and exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
"l enjoy my course because it’s an actual real-life salon so there is real work experience and there are plenty of great facilities here."
Career prospects & further study
- On successful completion of this course you may be able to progress onto the Level 2 Beauty Therapy or Level 2 Hair qualification. You will be supported throughout your studies to achieve your full potential for the professional requirements of industry.
Need to know