Bakery, Patisserie and Confectionary
About this course
Our 1 year bakery program is the perfect course for those individuals considering further learning and progression in bakery training and education, and will provide a higher level for a career in the bakery industry. Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, this qualification will develop the knowledge and practical skills in breads and confectionery, that will be required to work in the college's bakery. Training alongside industry professionals, students will learn in top class facilities, including huge training kitchens, butchery's, bakery's and our landmark City Centre restaurant 'The Classroom'. This programme offers pupils the opportunity to develop higher level practical skills and knowledge in a wide range of bakery manufacturing techniques.
Must be able to work early mornings in our in-house bakery, enter competition work and also work part-time in a bakery business or catering business.
What you will study
For a full Level 3 Diploma in Professional Bakery (FDQ), the learner will have to successfully complete 55 credits. Units include modules such as:
- Craft skills in Sugar-Wired Flowers
- Craft skills in Chocolate & Ganache
- Craft skills in Bread & Doughs
- Craft skills in Almond & Sugar Confectionery
- Advanced Celebration cakes
- Advanced Piping Skills/Royal Icing
- Advanced Fondant & Modelling Skills
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
Level 2 diploma or certificate in bakery. Already a professional in the bakery business or own a bakery, patisserie or confectionary business or possess a level 2 catering qualification with skills relevant to the bakery profession.
Teaching and assessment
Coursework including practical assessments and written assignments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
The course has opened loads of opportunities for me – I got to the semi-finals of the Nestle Torgue d’Or and won in Skills Competition Wales and will compete in WorldSkills UK. This course has made me really excited for my future.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this programme, successful candidates may progress onto higher education courses. Many students also pursue various employment opportunities within the industry.
Need to know