About this course
The Level 3 Diploma and Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production & Technology are designed to provide students with the knowledge, skills and understanding necessary to access and progress to degree level study or employment in the media sector. They provide an opportunity for those who have an interest in media to explore, develop and test their creativity within a qualification structure that is stimulating and demanding and provides a supportive transition from general to more specialised study.
What you will study
You will study a range of different media production techniques from a multi-camera studio-based production to short film production, digital video editing techniques, research techniques, critical and contextual awareness and industry structure and career opportunities within the sector.
In addition to their main qualifications students will study and gain accreditation in Essential Skills Wales.
5 GCSEs A* - C including English Language or Maths or a Level 2 Diploma in this discipline at Pass grade or higher. You must attend an interview. Please be advised that portfolio work will be requested during your initial screening call so you must have these ready prior to applying. Portfolios can include any of the following: video work, written creative media work, scripts written, print media work.
Teaching and assessment
Assessment is entirely project based. Students will prepare a portfolio of evidence that will be submitted at key stages throughout the year. Summative assessment takes place at the completion of each project. Formative assessment and feedback are continual. Students are awarded a pass grade only for units 1-7 and their final summative grade for the year will be based on the work completed for Unit 8 – Individual Project. This will be graded Pass/Merit/Distinction/Distinction*
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
The teaching was amazing I just felt very supported. There was always that 1:1 tutoring that I really needed when I didn’t have much confidence. The facilities of the College were excellent, every year we had new technology and equipment we could explore, I felt my skills were really developing from that.
Career prospects & further study
Students can progress into higher education on a number of related courses from BA in Film to BA in Visual Effects, to BA Cinema Studies or BA Media Production. At CAVC we offer a Foundation Degree in Film which is a brilliant progression route.
Alternatively, students can progress directly into employment in the media sector which is a thriving industry here in Cardiff.
Need to know