About this course
This Physical Education – A2 Level is a one-year course that should be taken alongside two or three other subjects and the Welsh Baccalaureate.
It may be possible to take this course as a part-time student.
The course will enable learners to:
- Develop theoretical knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin physical activity and sport and use this knowledge to improve performance.
- Understand how physiological and psychological states affect performance.
- Understand the key socio-cultural factors that influence people’s involvement in physical activity and sport.
- Understand the role of technology in physical activity and sport.
- Refine their ability to perform effectively in physical activity and sport by developing skills and techniques and selecting and using tactics, strategies and/or compositional ideas.
- Develop their ability to analyse and evaluate to improve performance.
- Understand the contribution which physical activity makes to health and fitness.
- Improve as effective and independent learners and as critical and reflective thinkers with curious and enquiring minds.
What you will study
There is one end of year assessment; a practical assessment as a performer, a coach and official in one sport, production of a personal performance profile.
After studying units 1 and 2 at AS, the A2 course covers:
A2 Unit 3: Evaluating physical education
- Written examination: 2 hours; 36% of qualification
A2 Unit 4: Refining personal performance in physical education
- Non-exam assessment; 24% of qualification
Practical performance in one activity as a player/performer, coach or official is assessed, also investigative research
Teaching and assessment
Written exam and practical assessment
Successful completion of AS programme including satisfactory attendance and tutor recommendation.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
"I love studying my course at Cardiff and the Vale College. It is so much fun ! The amount of independence and freedom you get is brilliant and you're treated like an adult,
I honestly love it. At the college I've enjoyed the close relationships I have with my teachers. I genuinely feel like I can go to my teachers with any issue that I’m having and they will really help me work through them."
Career prospects & further study
On completion of the A Level programme, the majority of our students progress onto universities across the country and beyond. Based on this course, there are many options but below are just a few examples of degree programmes you could go on to study at University:
- Business Management
- Public Services
- Travel and Tourism
Need to know