Returning for Assessment
I have been invited to a college site by my tutor to be assessed so I can finish my qualification. What do I need to know?
From 15th June, in line with Welsh Government guidance, small numbers of students will make a safe return to campus, by invitation only, to be assessed and complete their qualification if this cannot be done remotely.
If this includes you, your tutor will contact you. First, they will discuss your current situation, including whether you or a family member are shielding or vulnerable and whether you are able and wish to attend or not. The decision to come in to be assessed and complete your qualification this summer is your choice. If you are unable to, or do not wish to at this point, we will arrange for you to do this during next academic year.
Health & Safety – Our Commitment
Please be reassured, at Cardiff and Vale College (CAVC) the health, safety and wellbeing of our staff, students and visitors is our top priority. Thorough risk assessments have been undertaken; sites have been adjusted to enable social distancing; rigorous cleaning and hygiene measures have been implemented; and detailed plans for working safely in each campus holding assessments will be followed to minimise any risk for staff and students.
Important Guidance for you
If you choose to attend an assessment on campus in June or July we will ask you to follow some important guidance as follows:
- If you or a member of your household has any COVID-19 symptoms, or are isolating for a period because of this on the day you are due to come in to be assessed, please do not come to college. Contact your tutor to let them know you will not be attending. Click here for up-to-date NHS advice: www.nhs.uk/coronavirus
- Arrive at the campus appropriately dressed for your assessment. There will be no showers or changing rooms available.
- Arrive at the campus at the time you are invited. You will not be allowed access to the building prior to this.
- If driving, park in the college carpark for the site you are attending. If you arrive early, stay in your vehicle.
- There will be no food and drink outlets open on campus. Water fountains and cooking facilities will also not be in use. Please bring sufficient water/ drinks/ snacks for yourself during the time you are on campus.
- Only bring essential personal possessions with you onto campus. Aim for all your possessions, including drinks and snacks to be in one bag.
- Follow 2m social distancing at all times - on your way to the campus, during your time in the building and when leaving. There will be clear floor markings and signage in the building and the room you are assessed in to support this.
- Upon arriving on campus you must go directly to the room that has been allocated for your assessment. Follow signs to this. You will not be able to walk around the campus or use other rooms during your visit.
- Hand sanitiser will be provided at the entrance to the building. Please use this on entry and if directed to, during your visit.
- Follow good personal hygiene – wash your hands regularly and thoroughly/ don’t touch your face/ sneeze or cough into your elbow.
- Should you wish to wear your own Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), such as masks and gloves, this will be allowed. You may be asked to remove it if the tutor feels there is a health and safety risk to you based on a particular practical task or piece of equipment to be used.
Once in the room you have been allocated for your assessment, a member of staff will then talk you through how to work safely during your time on campus. This will include how to work in the room you are in, your allocated space, how to access the toilet and any arrangements for breaks outside of this room.
If you have any questions or concerns before or on the day please contact your tutor.