About this course
Construction and the Built Environment is an ideal subject for students wishing to become an Architect, Building Surveyor, Construction Manager, Civil Engineer, Quantity Surveyor or follow any other professional career pathway in the sector.
This programme will provide you with the fundamental knowledge required for further progression within the construction industry and open the doorway to a new career. It will also provide you with a recognised qualification that will act as a springboard towards achieving your degree.
What you will study
The programme encompasses a wide range of subject areas and is made up of a combination of mandatory and optional units, including;
- Design Principles
- Science & Materials
- Health, Safety & Welfare for Construction and the Built Environment
- Project Management
- Building Control Procedures and Legislation
- Measuring, Tendering & Estimating
- Site Surveying Procedures
- Group Project
Employed in the industry within a relevant role and hold five GCSE’s at grade C or above, to include Maths, Science and English, BTEC Level 3 Diploma (PPP) or equivalent qualifications in a relevant subject. Mature learners with a suitable academic background may be accepted at the discretion of the Course Tutor.
Teaching and assessment
- Practical assessment and written assignments and exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I have enjoyed being around the City Centre Campus, it's a nice surrounding and everyone gets along. The highlight of my time at college has been the new friends I have made and the different atmosphere from school. You can gain new skills and do things you'd never thought you could do before.
Need to know