About this course
This course will enable you to prepare a safe working area to tile a surface as well as learn basic tiling techniques. You will study the following four outcomes:
- Be able to prepare a safe working area.
- Be able to prepare surface.
- Be able to mix and apply adhesives and grout.
- Be able to fix tiles.
What you will study
The areas that you will be studying will enable you to achieve the following assessment criteria:
- 1.1 Prepare a safe working area.
- 1.2 Identify different health hazards.
- 1.3 State what corrective action would be needed to rectify different health hazards.
- 2.1 Select and use appropriate tools and equipment for preparation and tiling.
- 2.2 Prepare a surface for tiling.
- 3.1 Mix adhesive and grout to appropriate consistency.
- 3.2 Correctly apply adhesive and grout.
- 3.3 Clean and polish tiles after grouting.
- 4.1 Cut tiles using correct techniques.
- 4.2 Fix a variety of tiles using standard application techniques.
Course fee per year
Course Fee: £30.00
Motivated with a desire to achieve, successful interview
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I got myself on an apprenticeship with a domestic tiler and have expanded my knowledge from there. School wasn’t for me as I preferred a more hands on approach to learning. Being able to practice my trade in college, and developing my skills means when I go into work for my apprenticeship I can test what I have learned in a real life setting. Being at college I have found a lot more relaxed than school, so anyone who is thinking of coming to the College I’d say that the staff are great and easy to get along with, and come and see if it’s for you.
Need to know