About this course
This course is for young people who are working towards an independent, happy and active life after college. Towards Independence is one of our Personalised Learning Pathways (PLP), which offer learners the flexibility to focus on areas of their personal development that are important to them. Learners will be supported to create their own learning pathways, based on their personal targets, interests and aspirations.
What you will study
Throughout the academic year, learners will participate in a variety of projects specifically designed to facilitate opportunities for skill development in a range of areas. These projects provide meaningful learning experiences, encourage self-advocacy and promote independence.
Learners will follow personalised learning pathways, based on their individual targets. These pathways can include learning in the following curriculum areas;
- Communication Skills
- Independent Living Skills
- Health and Wellbeing
- Work Skills
- Community Engagement
- Building Resilience
Learners will be supported to recognise and record their progress and achievements in a way that is exciting and accessible to them. This may include building e-portfolios, using written work, photographs, videos clips, soundbites and infographics.
Our Personalised Learning Pathways offer learners the flexibility to focus on areas of their personal development that are important to them. For this reason, this course is a non-accredited route.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Successful completion of interview or progression with a willingness to work towards developing life skills and work skills with appropriate independence. You will need to attend an informal interview and undertake a College assessment in social communication and independence.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Since starting at the College I have made lots of friends, but I also have the opportunity to sit and do independent studying. To a student in a similar situation to me when I started college I would say it’s alright to be afraid, don’t underestimate yourself, keep trying and you’ll be surprised what you can do; get along and have fun.
Need to know