About this course
These courses offer learners at Pre-entry and Entry levels an identified pathway in either Life Skills or Work Skills. All learners typically have had a Statement of Educational Needs or IDP or EHCP.
All learners in this strand would have worked with the College Transition and Review officer to identify their long-term aim. An Initial Assessment of the full range of learner’s needs will be undertaken during the induction process to identify suitable targets and identified a route for progression.
What you will study
Towards Independence Groups
The course will be learner-led and offer experiential based learning.
Learners will be gaining skills towards Independence and following a curriculum based around these main areas.
- Communication skills
- Community participation
- Work skills
- Healthy Living
- Independent living skills
Ideally, links will be made with specialises support services and these will have input throughout the year to ensure learners can keep links and continue to develop any additional needs.
The course will be run over a two-year period with a rotation of units from the entry level Personal Progress course. The main assessment method will be photographic/video evidence stored on Seesaw (or similar application).
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Successful completion of interview or progression with a willingness to work towards developing life skills and work skills with appropriate independence. You will need to attend an informal interview and undertake a College assessment in social communication and independence.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Since starting at the College I have made lots of friends, but I also have the opportunity to sit and do independent studying. To a student in a similar situation to me when I started college I would say it’s alright to be afraid, don’t underestimate yourself, keep trying and you’ll be surprised what you can do; get along and have fun.
Need to know