About this course
This qualification is designed to enable learners to develop their skills to communicate with Deaf people using British Sign Language (BSL) in a range of everyday situations. The qualification will allow learners to participate in longer and more varied conversations than at Level 1. The course will develop communication in BSL about real life, routine, and daily experiences. The learner will be able to deal with most routine communication and have enough understanding of grammar to cope with some non-routine communication. Learners should be taught a number of regional variations in sign language.
The specification has been designed to be consistent with the National Language Standards at Level 2.
What you will study
The qualification is divided into three units, each of which can be achieved separately.
The units can be done in any order at any time but it is recommended that the content of Unit BSL201 is covered before Unit BSL202 or BSL203.
To achieve the full Level 2 Certificate in British Sign Language, candidates are required to achieve all units. These units are:
- BSL Receptive Skills – Unit BSL201
- BSL Productive Skills – Unit BSL202
- BSL Conversational Skills – Unit BSL203
Theme 1 is mandatory so all learners must do this. Learners will also study two other themes out of the three optional themes above. The two optional themes will be chosen by the teacher in consultation with the learner.
In Unit BSL201 learners will be assessed on the content of Theme 1 only. The hours within the unit include time for practice and assessment.
In Units BSL202 and BSL203 learners will use and build upon the vocabulary and grammatical features of Theme 1.
Themes 2, 3 and 4 include the vocabulary from Theme 1. Learners are expected to increase their understanding and use of BSL grammar and vocabulary in these units. Some of the learning hours will be used to practice their skills and carry out the assessment for Units BSL202 and BSL203.
For Unit BSL202 learners will be assessed on the content of Theme 1 and the first choice of the optional themes.
For Unit BSL203 learners will be assessed on the content of Theme 1 and the second choice of the optional themes.
On completion of Signature Level 2 Certificate in British Sign Language, a wide range of further qualifications is available, including:
- Signature Level 3 Certificate in British Sign Language
- Signature Level 4 Certificate in British Sign Language
- Signature Level 4 Certificate in British Sign Language and Introduction to Interpreting
- Signature Level 6 NVQ Certificate in British Sign Language.
These qualifications would potentially lead an individual to various employment opportunities.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Need to know