About this course
Want to become a bartender or get a qualification, which recognises your skills? With the Award in Professional Bartending you'll gain the knowledge and skills needed to prepare a variety beverages including cocktails and to provide a high standard of customer service. You will also have the option to learn free-pouring techniques.
What you will study
The Award in Professional Bartending is for people who work as or want to work as bartenders. You may be working in an environment which serves cocktails already, but it is not a requirement.
The course runs for a period of 15 weeks on Wednesday evenings and each class lasts 4 hours.
You will cover areas including:
- Proper use and cleaning of equipment
- How to prepare the bar for service
- Cocktail making techniques
- Cocktail recipes
- Beer, wine and spirits service
- Responsible serving of alcohol.
For this qualification you will learn in a group environment with your training provider. You will be assessed using a practical assignment where you will demonstrate your ability to prepare and serve drinks.
You will complete a short-answer test covering the background knowledge essential to bartending.
If you choose to take the optional unit on free-pouring you will complete one additional assessment which covers free-pouring skills and knowledge.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Need to know