About this course
The Pre-Access to Nursing and Midwifery course has been designed to give you the skills and qualifications needed to progress onto the Access to Nursing Course. You will be given the support and opportunity to sit GCSE Maths and English and will also study one Care unit from a Level 3 course.
Note: Learners studying Childcare or Health & Social Care courses should be aware that it is a requirement of the programme that all learners working with Children or in a Care setting have to have a full enhanced disclosure check (DBS).
What you will study
This course will be studied one day a week for 33 weeks. It is purposefully designed for those already working in the Care Field, who are keen to have a future career in Nursing/Midwifery.
This course will be offered at a substantial discount for those who are currently working in the Care field and it is anticipated that this course will be studied whilst continuing to work for an employer.
We give full individual and careful consideration to every application. You do not need any formal qualifications to join this course but we are looking for a period out of formal education and appropriate literacy and numeracy skills which indicate that you are ready for this course (we help you to establish this at interview).
We also expect to see good interpersonal skills, commitment to the area of study and enthusiasm and understanding of your chosen career route.
This course is designed for those already in employment but those hoping to gain work in this area will also be considered.
Teaching and assessment
- Coursework and regular exams
Course fee per year
Course Fee: £150.00
We give full individual and careful consideration to every application. You do not need any formal qualifications to join this course, but you will need to demonstrate appropriate skills in literacy and numeracy which will be assessed at interview. Following your assessment results it may be necessary to ask you to complete a refresher/upskill course in either literacy and numeracy or both, if this is the case evidence of completion would need to be provided before enrolling onto the course.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
I think I have really grown in confidence on the course, and have gained basic skills which I didn’t have before, I left school at the begin in Year 11, so getting a C in maths and English at GCSE was a big deal for me, and it boosted my confidence.
Need to know