About this course
This Physical Education - AS Level is a one-year course that should be taken alongside two or three other subjects and the Welsh Baccalaureate.
It may be possible to take this course as a part-time student.
What you will study
The course will enable learners to:
• Develop theoretical knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin physical activity and sport and use this knowledge to improve performance.
• Understand how physiological and psychological states affect performance.
• Understand the key socio-cultural factors that influence people’s involvement in physical activity and sport.
• Understand the role of technology in physical activity and sport.
• Refine their ability to perform effectively in physical activity and sport by developing skills and techniques and selecting and using tactics, strategies and/or compositional ideas.
• Develop their ability to analyse and evaluate to improve performance.
• Understand the contribution which physical activity makes to health and fitness.
• Improve as effective and independent learners and as critical and reflective thinkers with curious and enquiring minds.
There is one end of year assessment; a practical assessment as a performer, a coach and official in one sport, production of a personal performance profile.
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade A* - C including English Language and Maths.
Individual subjects may require higher grades.
Mature learners without these qualifications may be accepted after an interview with the subject tutor.
Teaching and assessment
End of year practical assessment
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came to the College as I wanted to travel and become more independent – it’s so modern and looks amazing. When I saw the library I was sold. Honestly the library was my main pull, there are so many books I loved it.
Someone came in to speak to us about the Sutton Trust, which gives students a taste of life at American universities. I applied - it was really competitive but I got in. We went to a different state every day, and we went to different colleges including Princeton and Harvard. I also had a week at Warwick Uni and a week at Nottingham Uni. It was so good – I just loved it.
You have a lot of support at the College, especially from the Careers and Ideas team. I think there are a lot more opportunities here as it is such a big college with so many resources.
Need to know