About this course
Explore and develop your creative skills and knowledge by studying the BTEC Extended Diploma in Photography. You will gain practical and theoretical knowledge from experienced lecturers and by using our photographic facilities. There is a focus on creative thinking, skills and ideas development, and preparing learners for progression into higher education or employment (within the creative industries).
What you will study
- Informing ideas, problem solving, technical skills, professional practice, and communication are fundamental to learning on this course.
- There are course field trips (national and international) and regular exhibition visits.
- There is a programme of guest speakers that will include practising photographers, visiting lecturers, and creative industry experts.
- All members of the photography teaching team are experienced in working within the photographic industry and the wider creative industries.
- On successful completion of year 1 students will progress to year 2.
Learners will study one unit,1.Exploring and Developing Art and Design Skills (Photography). Learning is centered on skills, knowledge and creative development; exposure, camera craft, digital image capture, post image production, studio and location lighting, and experimental imagery.
Learners will study two units,1.Exploring and Developing Art (Photography), 2. Design Skills Advancing Creative Practice (Photography).Advanced learning will be assessed through project folio work such as fashion photography, photo art, and publishing.
This course provides learners with the opportunity to develop their technical and creative skills through a process of critical evaluation, practice and reflection. These are all key skills for progression to higher education and employment.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Studio Fees: £65.00
5 GCSEs A* - C including English Language or Maths or a Level 2 Diploma in this discipline at Pass grade or higher. You must provide a portfolio of work during your interview.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I chose to come to Cardiff and Vale College as I knew I could really be myself here and I would be treated as an equal. The people I have met since being at the College have been my highlight as I’m meeting people who are different ages and have had different experiences to me. I have made some really good friends since being at the College. It seems like the right step between school and uni.
Need to know