About this course
This Professional Certificate of Education (PCET) and Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) is the qualification required to become a qualified lecturer in a further education college or other post-16 environment. Based at our Barry campus on Colcot Road, candidates must secure a teaching placement before they can start the programme. Learners that have a degree will complete the course with a PGCE PCET Professional Graduate Certificate in Education qualification. All others completing the programme will gain a ProfCE PCET Professional Certificate of Education. Both qualifications allow you to become a fully qualified teacher or lecturer in a FE or other post-compulsory education or training environment.
What you will study
On the course you will study modules including:
Preparing to Teach
Planning and Assessment
Teaching and Subject Pedagogy
Innovation in Learning and Teaching
Curriculum Development for Inclusive Learning
Independent Study (allows you to specialise in an area of your own interest)
Preparing to Teach can be studied as a single standalone module (see linked course below)
The Preparing to Teach Module runs twice throughout the year for approximately 12-14 weeks (currently delivered on a Wednesday evening 6pm till 9pm), and is a taster course which has the potential to lead on to the full programme. Tutors employed within the FE sector will need to complete the full two-year programme.
Course fee per year
DBS Check: £44.00
Tuition Fees: £2,625.00
Level 3 qualification in the subject that they are going to teach. It is essential that students secure a teaching placement before they start the course. For vocational subjects it is important to have at least 4 years industrial experience. For those people whose first language is not English, they must have an IELTs score of 6.5 or above. Five years commercial/industrial experience is required.
14:00 - 20:00 Tuesday
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessments including practical assessments written assignments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
I didn’t go to university but I’ve still reached my goal in a different way – I’m still in the same boat now and I can go onto teach and do what I really want to do.
Need to know