About this course
Our Level 2 NVQ in Barbering is the formal industry qualification that develops the specific skills for trainee barbers or anyone wanting to enter the industry. Based at our Barry campus in Colcot Road, this programme will teach all aspects of basic gent's hairdressing, whilst offering students the chance to gain experience within the college's commercial salons.
What you will study
Topics and techniques covered on this course include:
- Cutting skills
- Client consultation
- Assisting with Shaving
- Shampoo & Conditioning
- Blow dry/styling male hair
Students will also be expected to work on realistic clients in a commercial environment and be responsible for developing their own 'client base'.
Course fee per year
Exam Fee: £62.00
Course Fee: £388.00
Interview and initial entrance assessment. You need to be working at Levels 1 or 2 in Literacy. You will be expected to work on realistic clients in a commercial environment and will also be responsible for developing your own 'client base’
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment including practical and online skills tests
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
My best days at college are when we get to learn new techniques, which keep us up to date with hairdressing industry. The tutors are really lovely and supportive and they help you as much as they can.
Need to know