About this course
Would you like to increase your versatility as a performing and recording artist? Are you a performing artist or singer songwriter who wants to become a professional musician?
This course has been developed in response to current demands from the music industry. It aims to develop your skills as a performer and writer, along with your technical knowledge and to give you essential industry know-how that can help you to build your music career.
You will have access to an impressive range of technical facilities and studios. This includes professionally equipped suites with the latest industry software, a recording studio and surround sound mixing suite making it one of Cardiff’s best audio complexes.
What you will study
One half of this course will focus on performance and stagecraft, while the other will cover:
- song writing and arrangement
- studio recording, mixing and production
- management, PR and promotion
Our goal is to help you develop as a musician, performer and band leader, while giving you a solid understanding of marketing, PR and promotion. Not only will you have individual tuition on your chosen instrument throughout the course, you will also benefit from practical workshops and sessions dedicated to stagecraft, recording, mixing, production and musical direction.
Led by experienced tutors who are actively practising in the music business, you will study the following modules:
Year 1 (level 4):
- Desktop Composition
- Role of Music Management
- Pop Performance Studies 1
- Music Theory 1
- Performance 1
- Sound Theory
- Sound Practice
- Think Music Tech
Year 2 (level 5)
- Composition and Arranging
- Studio Recording 2
- Touring Logistics and Planning
- Pop Perf Studies 2
- Pop Music Factory
- Performance 2
- Song writing
Our location, close to the vibrant music scene in Cardiff, provides unique opportunities for placements, work experience and networking. We will also encourage you to collaborate with other musicians and artists at CAVC so you will be able to apply your skills in a variety of live situations, working with performers in a range of genres.
Please note: You can apply for this course either through UCAS or directly with the college.
If applying via UCAS please use the following details:
Course Code: W330, University Code: W05, Campus Code: 1
Course fee per year
Tuition Fees: £7,500.00
- 72 UCAS tariff points from either; A levels and Welsh Bacc : DDD; BTEC L3 Extended Diploma: Merit, Merit, Pass; BTEC L3 Diploma: Distinction
- In addition a Grade 6 performance on your stated first instrument, or voice, alongside grade 5 music theory or a pass at BTEC Unit 27 (music theory and harmony) If you do not hold these grades, but feel you are at the required standard, you can still apply for this course. Your suitability will be determined through an audition which you will be required to attend. The audition will be informal and will also include a relaxed interview.
- Plus, three GCSE’s to include Maths and English (or equivalent) Candidates without a level 3 Music qualification are required to provide a portfolio.
Mature applicants (aged 21+): If you do not hold the qualifications listed but have relevant work experience, you are welcome to apply. Your application will be considered on an individual basis. Level 5 (year 2) entry: To directly enter the second year of this course you will need to show appropriate knowledge and experience. For example, you are an ideal candidate if you have 120 undergraduate credits at Level 4 or a CertHE in a related subject area.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I’ve always wanted to study Music Technology and it’s great to have this course available at college. I didn’t study music at school but getting this opportunity has really been amazing. I didn’t think I’d be able to read music or produce it so quickly and I’ve even got my own set-up back at home. There’s so many facilities to take advantage of, two production rooms, performance rooms, studios and a recital room where we put on our final performances. I’ve progressed onto the Music Technology Foundation Degree and that’s been a great step up for me. I really want to be a producer but this course has opened up other options in music for me – one of those being events management which is what I’m leaning towards now.
Need to know