About this course
Learners will develop personal and practical skills in how to communicate effectively with patients, visitors and members of the health service team and gain an understanding of hospital and general practice procedures, diary management, filing, the use of office equipment and IT.
Learners will also develop an understanding of health and safety in the workplace and its impact on the working environment particularly with regard to the hazards relating to the medical field. They will also gain an understanding of and be able to correctly use a range of medical terms, develop an understanding of the principles of medical ethics and etiquette and confidentiality which are essential to fulfilling the role of the medical administrator/receptionist.
This course is held in afternoons and evenings.
What you will study
Topics studied include:
- Unit 220 Medical Terminology
- Unit 221 Administration skills in a Medical Environment
- Unit 222 Communication Skills in a Medical Environment
- Unit 223 Working in the National Health Service
- Unit 224 Work Experience in a Medical Environment
- Unit 225 Medical Word Processing
- Unit 335 Medical Principles for the Administrator
You will be taught using a mixture of short lectures; using computers to familiarise yourself with medical documents and administration procedures in a medical environment, to help you develop good all-round medical administration skills. There will also be eLearning involved in the course. There is also an element of Work Experience in a Medical Environment.
Interviews will be held in Cardiff Campus only.
FOUR GCSEs Grades A to D include English and Maths
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I then joined Career Ready, another programme focusing on being ready for the world of work. Through Career Ready I gained an internship with Santander which was an amazing experience and I had the opportunity to go to London and network. Both Trading Places and Career Ready have been influential throughout my learning at CAVC.
I have really enjoyed studying business at the new campus over the past year, there are always events going on and it’s been really good. To prospective students I would say go with your instincts; if you know you are interested go with it.
Need to know