About this course
Our Computing with Games Development & Coding course is a two-year BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computing and is equivalent to three A Levels. Students achieving this qualification will either go on to study a computing or IT related qualification at University or enter employment. This course has an emphasis on games development and coding.
This is a growth area for employment opportunities as the number of IT devices continues to grow, the demand for staff able to code them increases. You will have the opportunity to learn several programming languages and you will learn to develop games and mobile applications. You will also learn skills ranging from identifying and replacing basic components of a PC to connecting a network of PCs within a company.
What you will study
In this Extended Diploma in Computing you will study units including:
- Principles of Computer Science - programming
- Computer Games Development
- IT Systems Security and Encryption
- Mobile Applications Development
- Software Design and Development Project
- Computer Networking
- Planning and Managing Computing Projects
- Website Development
5 GCSEs Grades A* - C including English Language and Maths (or equivalent). Or a Business Level 2 qualification with Merit profile. International students will require an IELTS score of 6.5 or above.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
“I enjoyed all the different units and assignments that required a lot of research within my course. My favourite thing about CAVC is that the facilities are available for us to use 24/7”.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course, successful candidates may progress onto the Extended Diploma in Computing. Many students will also pursue various employment opportunities within the industry.