About this course
Both our Hospitality Certificate in Food Preparation & Cooking, and our Certificate in Food & Beverage Service are for the more practical learner, and will provide them with a very good insight into the catering industry. Based at our campus in Barry, students will have an opportunity of working in the college's Glamorgan Suite restaurant, including the kitchen and front of house. Studying in the colleges dedicated facilities, this course will deliver the basic skills of professional cookery within the catering industry, including literacy and numeracy, which forms the basics for a chef when following recipes and taking orders. You will also work on personal and social skills throughout the year.
What you will study
Topics will include:
- Working effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintaining food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Maintaining a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Preparing and cooking vegetables
- Preparing and cooking pasta
- Preparing and clearing areas for table service
- Providing table and tray service
Students will be expected to show that they can work alone and as part of a team. They will also be required to work in the college's training restaurant to complete this programme of study. There may be an opportunity for all learners to visit Hotelympia and different Hospitality and Catering establishments.
A practical assessment will form part of the recruitment criteria to ascertain suitability for this course. Candidates should be able to demonstrate good personal hygiene.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
3 GCSEs Grades A* - E including English Language and/or Maths
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment including practical assessments and online MCQ paper
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
My work experience has involved working events where we have had to cater to and serve hundreds of people. I have plated up food, served wine, and experienced every aspect of the industry. I’ve always known that I wanted a career in cooking, but since doing Hospitality and Catering Level 2 I have realised I like the front of house aspects as well.
Need to know