About this course
Our 1 year Hospitality course will suit learners who have already achieved a VRQ Level 1 in Professional Cookery & Food Service, or somebody with basic skills and experience as a chef, where you have worked under supervision or front of house in the food and beverage service industry. This programme is designed for those candidates keen to gain formal qualifications and increase their skills, so that they can one day take on a more senior role.
Students will be expected to show that they can work alone and as part of a team, and work in our fine dining restaurant on a rota basis. There may also be an opportunity for all learners to visit trade shows such as Hotelympia and different relevant establishments. The Diploma course is assessed through short answer questions and practical assessments.
What you will study
In order to achieve the VRQ L2 Professional Cookery and Food Service qualification, the learner will have to successfully complete units including modules such as:
- Developing skills for employment in the catering and hospitality industry
- Health and safety in catering and hospitality
- Healthier foods and special diets
- Catering operations, costs and menu planning
- Preparing and cooking stocks, soups and sauces
- Preparing and cooking meat and offal
- Preparing and cooking poultry
- Preparing and cooking fish and shellfish
- Producing hot and cold desserts and puddings
- Legislation in food and beverage service
- Menu knowledge, design and resources
- Principles of beverage product knowledge
- Service of hot beverages
- Food and beverage service skills
- Handling payments and maintaining the payment point
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
4 GCSEs Grades A* - D including English Language (or equivalent). Satisfactory reference from Course Tutor. Alternatively, successful achievement of Level 1 and satisfactory reference. Satisfactory reference from School or College to indicate good behaviour, attendance and progress.
Teaching and assessment
- Written exam and practical assessments and practical exams and written assignments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
My work experience has involved working events where we have had to cater to and serve hundreds of people. I have plated up food, served wine, and experienced every aspect of the industry. I’ve always known that I wanted a career in cooking, but since doing Hospitality and Catering Level 2 I have realised I like the front of house aspects as well.
Need to know