About this course
Our Level 1 NVQ Hospitality Services is for the more practical learner, and will provide you with a very good insight into the catering industry. Based at our site in East Cardiff, learners will have an opportunity of working in the college's restaurants at Eastern High School, training in the kitchen, as well as front of house. This programme will deliver the basic skills of professional cookery within the catering industry, including literacy and numeracy, which forms the basis for a chef when following recipes and taking orders. Pupils will also work on personal and social skills throughout the year.
What you will study
Topics covered within this programme include:
- Working effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintaining food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Maintaining a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Preparing and cooking vegetables
- Preparing and clearing areas for table service
- Providing table and tray service
Students will also be expected to show that they can work alone and as part of a team. You will be required to work in the college's training restaurant to complete this programme of study.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Applicants would benefit from achieving 3 GCSEs Grades D-F. Alternatively, applicants will be considered based on interview and a satisfactory skills scan, with a desire and commitment to complete the course they would wish to study.
Teaching and assessment
- Practical assessments and continuous assignments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
My work experience has involved working events where we have had to cater to and serve hundreds of people. I have plated up food, served wine, and experienced every aspect of the industry. I’ve always known that I wanted a career in cooking, but since doing Hospitality and Catering Level 2 I have realised I like the front of house aspects as well.
Need to know