About this course
The Foundation Degree in Sport Coaching & Performance course is aimed at people who have a desire and commitment to gain an understanding of Sport Coaching and intend on pursuing a career within the Sports or Leisure Industry.
The course will be based at the Cardiff International Sports Campus in Leckwith, which has state of the art facilities and acts as a central hub for the college’s sports provision.
What you will study
In addition to developing the skills required for coaching, the Foundation Degree in offers a unique opportunity to combine study for an academic qualification while also engaging in industry-specific voluntary experience with our key partners. The ability to gain an academic and vocational qualification, and be presented with opportunities to gain industry-specific experience ensures graduates will enhance their employability profile.
Upon successful completion of the course, students can progress onto a top-up and final year at Cardiff Metropolitan University in either BSc (Honours) Degree Sport Coaching or Sport Performance Analysis.
Modules cover the following subject areas:
- Sport Coaching
- Sport Coaching and Physical Education
- Sport Performance Analysis
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Applied Principles and Techniques in Professional Practice
- Research Process
The learning and teaching methods will include lectures, seminars, workshops, practical sessions and tutorials.
Please note: You can apply for this course either through UCAS or directly with the College.
If applying via UCAS please use the following details: Course Code - Z404, University Code - C20, Campus Code - 4 - CAVC - Leckwith.
Course fee per year
Tuition Fees: £7,500.00
72 UCAS tariff points to include grades from A2 Level or an equivalent qualification such as the BTEC Extended Diploma.
Applicants without standard qualifications but with a commitment to sports coaching will be considered using the following criteria:
• Successful interview demonstrating commitment to study and academic potential.
• Evidence of recent study or engagement in appropriate employment.
• Evidence of a commitment to sport, exercise, sport coaching or physical education. If a candidate is taking or has recently taken (last 2 years) GCSE English and/or Mathematics, these should have been passed at Grade C or above.
Teaching and assessment
- Written assignments practical skills tests exams and portfolio
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I’d been with the College previously but this was completely different and just as good if not better. I’ve learned a lot from the modules and the lecturers have been really helpful – I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who is interested in sport. I’m going to continue to my third year and get my degree. At one time I would never have thought I’d be in a position where I was graduating and here I am.
Need to know