About this course
The HND Sport Coaching & Performance course is aimed at people who have a desire and commitment to gain an understanding of Sport Coaching and intend on pursuing a career within the Sports or Leisure Industry.
The course will be based at the Cardiff International Sports Campus in Leckwith, which has state of the art facilities and acts as a central hub for the college’s sports provision.
What you will study
In addition to developing the skills required for coaching, the HND offers a unique opportunity to combine study for an academic qualification while also engaging in industry-specific voluntary experience with our key partners. The ability to gain an academic and vocational qualification, and be presented with opportunities to gain industry-specific experience ensures graduates will enhance their employability profile.
Upon successful completion of the course, students can progress onto a top-up and final year at Cardiff Metropolitan University in either BSc (Honours) Degree Sport Coaching or Sport Performance Analysis.
Modules cover the following subject areas:
- Sport Coaching
- Sport Coaching and Physical Education
- Sport Performance Analysis
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Applied Principles and Techniques in Professional Practice
- Research Process
- Work Experience
The learning and teaching methods will include lectures, seminars, workshops, practical sessions and tutorials.
Please note: You can apply for this course either through UCAS or directly with the College.
If applying via UCAS please use the following details: Course Code - Z2R4, University Code - C20, Campus Code - 4 - CAVC - Leckwith.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £7,500.00
72 UCAS tariff points to include grades from A2 Level or an equivalent qualification such as the BTEC Extended Diploma.
Applicants without standard qualifications but with a commitment to sports coaching will be considered using the following criteria:
• Successful interview demonstrating commitment to study and academic potential.
• Evidence of recent study or engagement in appropriate employment.
• Evidence of a commitment to sport, exercise, sport coaching or physical education. If a candidate is taking or has recently taken (last 2 years) GCSE English and/or Mathematics, these should have been passed at Grade C or above.
Teaching and assessment
- Written assignments practical skills tests exams and portfolio
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I’d been with the College previously but this was completely different and just as good if not better. I’ve learned a lot from the modules and the lecturers have been really helpful – I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who is interested in sport. I’m going to continue to my third year and get my degree. At one time I would never have thought I’d be in a position where I was graduating and here I am.
Career prospects & further study
growth in sector
After completing this course, you will have the opportunity to top-up your qualification to a full BSc (Honours) Degree in either Sports Coaching or Sports Performance Analysis at Cardiff Metropolitan University. Many students will also progress onto employment within the Sports or Leisure Industry.
Need to know