About this course
This Computing HND course is for learners who wish to gain a Higher Level Computing qualification or work in the IT & Computing industry. It is also suitable for those already working in IT who want to progress their career.
You will be taught through a combination of lectures, practical work in our state of the art facilities and using Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). The methods of assessment differ for each module studied; assignment work, examinations or tests are used throughout the programme.
What you will study
You will study:
- Information Systems Analysis and Design 1
- Software Development
- Computer Programming 1
- Professional Practice in Computing
- Problem Solving for Computing
- Web Development
- Computing Systems and Networking Concepts
- Computer Systems Security
- Mobile App Development
- Computer Programming 2
- Responsive Web Development
- Systems Architecture and Modelling
- HND Individual Project
Applications to the course will be considered on an individual basis. Typical entry requirements are detailed below but if you don’t meet these criteria, then your work and life experience will be taken into consideration. Combinations of the qualifications below are acceptable and other qualifications not listed may also be acceptable. Typical A-Level Offer - DD Typical BTEC Offer - relevant BTEC level 3 profile of Merit/Pass or Pass/Pass/Pass Typical Welsh Bacc Offer - Grade C and DE at A Level Typical Access to HE Offer - Pass Diploma with 60 credits overall to include 45 level 3 credits all Passes Additionally, GCSE passes in three subjects at grade C or above to include Mathematics and English Language (or equivalent). A successful interview may also be a requirement for entry onto the course.
Cardiff – Monday – 4.00pm – 8.00pm & Wednesday – 3.30pm – 8.00pm
Barry – Tuesday – 4.00pm – 8.00pm & Thursday – 3.30pm – 8.00pm
Teaching and assessment
- Written assignments or exams
- In class tests
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I’ve been studying IT at the College and this HND course is great as it’s more in-depth at this level and is delivered in partnership with the University of South Wales. I’ve experienced website development as well as programming, databases and now practical aspects such as digital media – which involve Photoshop, HTML and producing websites via Rich Media. These skills are really transferable. The tutors are very helpful – I can always ask them for advice whenever I need it.
Need to know