About this course
The Building Engineering Services pathway of the HNC Construction and the Built Environment will develop your skills and knowledge to suit both the Mechanical and Electrical career pathways in Building Services Engineering.
This programme has been developed to address the current skills shortages within Building Services Engineering, more specifically Electrical Installation, Plumbing, Heating & Ventilation and Air Conditioning.
Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering) is an ideal subject for students wishing to become a building services engineer (Electrical Installation or Plumbing and Heating) or follow any other professional career pathway in the sector.
This programme will provide you with the fundamental knowledge required for further progression within the building services engineering industry and open the doorway to a new career. It will also provide you with a recognised qualification that will act as a springboard towards achieving your degree.
What you will study
The programme encompasses a wide range of subject areas and is made up of a combination of mandatory and optional units, including
- Science & Materials
- Construction Technology
- Construction Practice and Management
- Mathematics for Construction
- Principles of Heating Services Design and Installation
- Principles of Ventilation and Air Conditioning, Design and Installation
- Principles of Electrical Design and Installation
- Group Project
The combination of units is clearly set out in the BTEC specification for each pathway.
Course fee per year
Tuition Fees: £0.00
48 UCAS Tariff Points from the routes listed below:
- BTEC Level 3 qualification in Construction and the Built Environment (or a related subject)
- GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject; this profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades A* to C and/or 9 to 4 (or equivalent) in subjects such as maths and English
- Other related Level 3 qualifications
- Access to Higher Education Diploma awarded by an approved further education institution
International equivalent of the above. Mature applicants (aged 21+): If you do not hold the qualifications listed but have relevant work experience, you are welcome to apply. Your application will be considered on an individual basis.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I have enjoyed being around the City Centre Campus, it's a nice surrounding and everyone gets along. The highlight of my time at college has been the new friends I have made and the different atmosphere from school. You can gain new skills and do things you'd never thought you could do before.
Work placements content
Need to know