About this course
Developed in collaboration with the Hospital Play Staff Education Trust (HPSET), this programme has been designed to enable you, as a Level 3 practitioner, to undertake the additional academic study and practice skills required to work towards gaining graduate status as a Healthcare Play Specialist (HPS). From the beginning you will be actively developing study skills and extending both the academic and practical knowledge and understanding necessary to develop your skills when working with sick children, young people and their families. This intensive course requires a significant amount of independent work to enhance the knowledge and skills developed during lectures, away from college.
How to Apply:
You apply for this course via UCAS.
The ‘Apply Now’ button will take you to the UCAS course page.
You will need the following details: Course Code – HC05, Institution Code – C16, Campus Code - A, Campus Name – City Centre Campus
For further information visit Completing your UCAS application.
What you will study
You will study the following modules:
Year 1 Modules – Level 4
• Reflecting on Practice (20 credits)
• Development of Children and Young People (30 credits)
• Play as a Resource in Healthcare Interventions (30 credits)
• The Impact of Policy on Practice in Healthcare Settings (30 credits)
• Year 1 Professional Practice: Practice Assessment Portfolio (10 credits)
Year 2 Modules - Level 5
• Professionalism – Preparing to be a Registrant (20 credits)
• Resilience – Understanding the Concept for the Child and Practitioner (30 credits)
• Management and Leadership in a Healthcare Setting (30 credits)
• Student Led Practice Investigation (30 credits)
• Year 2 Professional Practice: Practice Assessment Portfolio (10 credits)
A full and relevant level 3 qualification in Early Years, or a related subject, with 2 years work experience in the related field. Also, GCSEs grades C or 4 and above in Maths and English. Equivalent level 2 qualifications in English and Maths would be considered. The course is open to volunteer and employed staff in the sector. Volunteer staff will be expected to have arranged their own work placement of a minimum of 200 hours, prior to enrolment on the course. All candidates will have to provide a letter from their supervisor confirming they will be supported with a qualified and HPSET registered mentor throughout the programme Applicants need to ensure that the Trust completes an Honorary contract, including all documentation relating to the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). An interview with a member of the course team may be required.
Teaching and assessment
A variety of teaching methods will be used in support of the module outcomes. Assessment methods used include: academic essays and presentations, literature reviews, written reports, a folder of evidence and assessment of practical skills within the workplace.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course, successful candidates may:
• Pursue various employment opportunities within the industry.
• Register with HPSET as a Health Play Specialist
• Progress to the BA (Hons) Top up Working in Integrated Services for Children and Young People.
• Furthermore, graduate status on completion of Level 6 could lead to many post graduate opportunities.
Need to know