About this course
This HND in Computing course is for learners who wish to gain a Higher Level Computing qualification or work in the IT & Computing industry. It is suitable for those working in IT or who want to progress their career.
Learners are taught through a combination of lectures, practical work in state of the art facilities and using a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). The methods of assessment differ for each module studied; assignment work, examinations or tests are used throughout the programme.
This is a dynamic industry which will have a significant impact on our future economic development and prosperity.
What you will study
On this course you will study modules in:
- Professional Practice
- Database Design & Development
- Website Design & Development
- Software development lifecycles
- Planning a Computing Project
- Business Process Support
- Cloud Computing
- Games Developments
- Computing Research Project
- Advanced Programming for data Analysis
- Risk Analysis & Systems Testing
Course fee per year
Tuition Fees: £2,560.00
48 UCAS tariff points gained from either:
- A BTEC Level 3 qualification in computing
- A GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject. This profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades A* to C (or equivalent), and/or 9 to 4 (or equivalent) in subjects such as Maths and English
- Other related Level 3 qualifications • An Access to Higher Education Diploma awarded by an approved further education institution
- An international equivalent of the above.
- Where applicants first language is not English, evidence of IELTS 5.5 (reading and writing must be at 5.5) or equivalent
- A successful interview is also required
CAVC will also consider applicants’ prior learning when considering their application on to the programme through Recognition of Prior Learning. Applications from mature students, without the standard entry requirements but with related work experience, will be considered.
Tuesday & Thursday, 2.30 - 8.30pm.
Teaching and assessment
- Students attend for 34 weeks a year on the part-time time programme
- The programme is modular in design and students will study the equivalent of 90 credits during their first year of study followed by 75 credits per year thereafter.
- Teaching methods include lectures, whole group information-giving sessions, workshops, tutorials, practical work, and blended e-learning and group critiques.
- Assessment for the course is designed, where possible, to simulate the variety of tasks that graduates from the programme may encounter in relevant employment. Where necessary other academic assessment devices, such as a formal examination are also used.
- The practical work will reflect real-world techniques that practitioners would encounter in computing
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
“I enjoyed all the different units and assignments that required a lot of research within my course. My favourite thing about CAVC is that the facilities are available for us to use 24/7”.
Career prospects & further study
Candidates who achieve these qualifications may go on to study further academic and professional qualifications or embark on an administrative, managerial or commercial career.
Need to know