HNC Technical Make Up Artistry, TV, Film & Theatre
About this course
A make-up artist ensures that models, performers and presenters have suitable make-up and hairstyles for appearing in front of cameras or an audience. This includes;
- live music
- photographic shoots
A make-up artist needs creative flair, practical ability and an up-to-date knowledge of fashion and beauty trends. The work involves creating images and characters through the medium of make-up, hairstyles and prosthetics according to a brief.
This programme offers learners a broad introduction to the subject area via a mandatory core of learning, while allowing for the acquisition of skills and experience through the selection of relevant optional units.
How to Apply: You apply for this course via UCAS. The ‘Apply Now’ button will take you to the UCAS course page.
You will need the following details:
Course Code – RS02, Institution Code – C16, Campus Code - A, Campus Name – City Centre Campus
For further information visit Completing your UCAS application.
What you will study
HNC modules include:
- The Performing Arts Industry
- Professional Development
- Production Communication
- Stage Craft
- Special FX
- Hair and Make-up Application
- Fashion and Fashion Editorial Hair and Make-up
- Period Hair and Make-up
Additional fees include:
Uniform: £45 plus flat black enclosed shoes
Prosthetic kit: £116 (compulsory)
Fashion makeup kit: £192.60
Course fee per year
DBS Check: £45.05
Tuition Fees: £6,000.00
Uniform Fee: £45.00
- A Level 3 qualification in makeup, hair and/or related subject.
- Other Level 3 qualifications may be acceptable. In addition,
- GCSE’s in Maths and English with a minimum of grade C (or 4)
- International Applicants require IELTS 5.5; Reading and Writing must be at 5.5 Applications from mature students, without the standard entry requirements but with related work experience, will be considered.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Career prospects & further study
Candidates who achieve these qualifications may go on to study a level 5 HND in Technical Make Up Artistry, TV, Film & Theatre (subject to sufficient student numbers being recruited).
Alternatively, successful learners will embark on an administrative, managerial or commercial career.
Need to know