About this course
The course offers a number of options for those looking to progress their careers in Engineering. If you are an apprentice or have studied a full-time level 3 Engineering in General Engineering, Electrical / Electronics, Manufacturing, Mechanical or Mechatronics then this is the ideal stepping stone to a Degree or future career options.
This course would also help those learners looking to top up UCAS points by obtaining additional Engineering units.
We are able to offer both the full-time option and the part-time options allowing you the flexibility to attend around work commitments or personal circumstances.
There is both a growing skills gap and a talent shortage in the Engineering workforce. Environmental sustainability, efficiency and advanced manufacturing have become imperative for customers. Fortunately, advances in technology give us the opportunity to have a positive impact on our people, society and planet. Engineers design, make and improve the vast range of technology that surrounds us, from cars and aircraft to sports trainers, mobile devices and wide range of advanced manufacturing processes. Engineers have shaped much of the modern world. They have given us the mobile phone, nuclear power stations, mechanical respirators, 3D printing and semiconductors - the list could go on and on. Jobs in engineering are available at all levels.
How to Apply: You apply for this course via UCAS. The ‘Apply Now’ button will take you to the UCAS course page.
You will need the following details:
Course Code – AG03, Institution Code – C16, Campus Code - D, Campus Name – International Centre for Aerospace Training (ICAT)
For further information visit Completing your UCAS application.
What you will study
- Pathway I: HNC/D Engineering (Electrical and Electronic Engineering)
- Pathway II: HNC/D Engineering (Manufacturing Engineering)
- Pathway III: HNC/D Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
- Pathway IV: HNC/D Engineering (General Engineering)
Level 4: HNC Engineering (Core units)
| || |
| || |
Managing a Professional Engineering Project (Pearson set)
Optional units will differ based on individual pathways run, depending on recruitment. This may require attendance at an alternative site.
The course uses a range of assessment methods, including tests, examinations, assignments, case studies and projects (work related).
Course fee per year
Tuition Fees: £6,000.00
For students who have recently been in education, the entry profile is likely to include 48 UCAS tariff points gained from one of the following: ● A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Engineering (ideally with a Merit profile) ● A GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject. This profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades at A* to C and/or 9 to 4 (or equivalent) ● Other related Level 3 qualifications ● An Access to Higher Education Certificate awarded by an approved further education institution ● Related work experience ● An international equivalent of the above.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Career prospects & further study
- HNC learners can progress to the HND provision
- Suitable Degree at a local University
- Master’s Degree
Potential employment opportunities
- Engineering Technicians and Engineers
- Technical Operators
- Engineering managers
According to Adzuna (job & career website – May 2020):
The average salary for all Engineering Jobs is £37,910. This is higher than the average salary of all advertised jobs which sits at £34,291.
IET Skills and Demand in Industry Survey reports:
- 60% of employers report the recruitment of engineering and technical staff with the right skills is the biggest anticipated barrier to achieving business objectives over the next three years
- 48% report difficulties in respect of the skills available in the external labour market when trying to recruit
- 81% agree that businesses have a responsibility to support the transition from education and training into the workplace, to get people with the right skills
- Engineers are in demand! 19% of the UK’s total workforce is employed in the engineering sector – but there are still fears that the nation isn’t producing enough qualified engineers.
Need to know