About this course
As a Foundation Degree programme there is an emphasis on employability and the understanding of entrepreneurial skills. ‘Artist / Designer’ is a general term normally used to include the making or designing of objects or artefacts. The course has making at its heart, and you develop new skills through hands-on experience with materials from metals, glass and ceramics through to wood and textiles. You learn to bridge the gap between age-old skills and the latest technology creating new ways of making for our ever-changing world. You will also develop a unique style and consider where your work sits within creative practice. You learn from industry experience - and take inspiration from practicing makers.
What you will study
You will study the following core modules at level 4 and 5;
Year 1 (level 4):
- Subject Module: An introduction to the materials, processes and equipment you'll need for creative practice
- Field Module: Facilitate collaboration to gather business experience, work placement and research into entrepreneurship.
- Constellation Module: A series of lectures and seminars about how art and design respond to a range of contemporary social, cultural, historical and philosophical issues.
Year 2 (level 5):
- Subject Module: Moving outside your comfort zone and experimenting with material process and new technologies.
- Field Module: Undertake a work placement, carry out research into entrepreneurship in relation to Art and Design.
- Constellation Module: Demonstrating your research and analysis skills in your final constellation submission. Students will undertake a well-balanced mix of theory and practice delivered via a range of teaching methods across the programme.
Demonstrations and Lectures are used to describe processes and techniques, complemented by seminars, individual tuition, group discussion and tutorials.
Please note: You can apply for this course either through UCAS or directly with the College. If applying via UCAS please use the following details: Course Code W250, University Code C20, Campus Code = 8, CAVC - Barry Campus.
Course fee per year
Tuition Fees: £2,640.00
Applications to the course will be considered on an individual basis. Typical entry requirements are detailed below, but if you don’t meet these criteria, then your portfolio of appropriate work and experience will be taken into consideration at interview. Combinations of the qualifications below are acceptable and other qualifications not listed may also be acceptable.
Applicants must be 18 or over and for standard entry a minimum of 48 UCAS tariff points is required, which is reflected in the offers below:
Typical A-Level Offer - DD
Typical BTEC Offer - relevant BTEC level 3 profile of Pass/Pass/Pass
Typical Welsh Bacc Offer - Grade C and DE at A Level
Typical Access to HE Offer - Pass Diploma with 60 credits overall to include 45 level 3 credits all Passes
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Everyone is really friendly and the learning experience has been great - the tutors are always supportive. I'd recommend going to College as it's a great route into university or work. I'm lucky enough to be studying a course I really enjoy and that's the most important thing.
Career prospects & further study
Successful candidates have the opportunity to progress onto the third year of the BA (Hons) Artist Designer: Maker within the School of Art and Design at Cardiff Metropolitan University.
Need to know