About this course
If you are keen to pursue a career in Hairdressing and Beauty, our Level 1 course is the perfect choice for you! Based at our Barry campus on Colcot Road, this programme will suit anyone who is new to the industry and is looking to become a Hairdressing Assistant. Studying in our outstanding facilities, this qualification will provide pupils with the basic knowledge and skills required to continue onto the progression routes within the college, as well as achieve a successful career as a hairdresser in the future. Students will develop their skills alongside industry qualified staff and have access to top of the range products and equipment. Throughout this qualification, learners will ensure responsibility to reduce risks to health and safety, prepare for hair services and maintain work areas, as well as contribute to the development of effective working relationships and shampooing and conditioning hair. With the inclusion of the manicure unit, pupils will also work alongside the beauty therapy department, gaining knowledge and experience in the nail service and working within the profession.
What you will study
Students will be supervised by technical staff and assessed on their competence through a number of methods including practical competence and a portfolio of evidence. Pupils will also complete external exams and Essential Skills portfolios.
Additional areas that will be covered include:
- Welsh Baccalaureate
- ESW Literacy & Numeracy
Learners will have the opportunity to work within a busy commercial environment in order to develop their vocational skills and competence.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Salon Fees: £15.00
- Students must be at least 16 years old
- New students will have an interview/placement test before starting their course to ensure that they are placed at the correct level
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment including practical assessments and exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
My best days at college are when we get to learn new techniques, which keep us up to date with hairdressing industry. The tutors are really lovely and supportive and they help you as much as they can.
Need to know