About this course
Our VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Hairdressing (QCF) is a technical level qualification for learners seeking a career as an employed and/or self employed hairdresser/stylist. Located at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, this qualification is based on the Hairdressing National Occupational Standards (NOS), and is recognised by the UK's lead hairdressing professional association (The Hairdressing Council) as being fit for purpose for preparing learners for a career as a senior hairdresser/stylist. Studying in the colleges fantastic facilities (including our vast commercial hairdressing salons), this qualification allows learners to build on their existing knowledge and understanding of hairdressing, and will develop an enhanced repertoire of technical skills to prepare them for employment within the sector. Learners will also work and have their hairdressing skills assessed in a 'real' commercial salon.
Students must hold a Level 2 qualification in hairdressing prior to undertaking this course.
What you will study
This qualification includes all the required elements to work effectively as an advanced hairdresser/stylist:
- Health & safety
- Client consultation
- Advanced cutting
- Selling products and services to clients
These units are all mandatory.
Learners will also further develop their understanding and skills by selecting a number of optional specialist units including:
• Hair colour correction
• Specialist scalp services and treatments
• Hair extension services
• Perming and colouring
• Creative hairdressing design
Additional areas that are covered include Essential Skills in Literacy and Numeracy.
Students will be required to undertake a work placement as part of their full time qualification, as well as have the opportunity to work within a busy commercial environment in order to develop their vocational skills and competence.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Salon Fees: £30.00
Successful achievement in relevant Level 2 Diploma (Hair). Interview, successful skills test and satisfactory reference from Course Tutor indicating good behaviour, satisfactory attendance and progress. Prior Learning and work experience will also be considered.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessments and practical assessments and exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
My best days at college are when we get to learn new techniques, which keep us up to date with hairdressing industry. The tutors are really lovely and supportive and they help you as much as they can.
Need to know