About this course
The VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Hair and Media Make-Up (QCF) is a substantial vocational qualification for learners seeking a career as an employed and/or self-employed hair and make-up artist. This qualification is based on the beauty therapy (make-up) and Hairdressing National Occupational Standards (NOS) as is recognised by the UK's leading professional bodies (The British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC) and the Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT) as being fit for purpose for preparing learners for a career as a junior hair and make-up artist.
This qualification has been specifically designed for the 16-19 age group and will develop the knowledge and skills to prepare learners for employment as a junior hair and make-up artist. Learners will have their hairdressing and make-up artistry skills assessed in a real or realistic working environment.
What you will study
This qualification includes all the required elements to work effectively as a hair and make-up artist including: the art of dressing hair, photographic make-up, applying make-up, client care, health & safety, creating an image based on a theme. Learners will further develop their understanding and skills base by selecting a number of optional specialist units which include: shampoo and condition the hair and scalp, colouring hair using temporary colour, skin tanning, body art, nail art, themed face painting, plaiting and twisting hair - the full list of optional units is presented in the learner Record of Assessment book (RoA) specification.
This qualification's structure provides learners with the flexibility to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills depending upon their designated career pathway as a junior hair and make-up artist. You will also be required to undertake a minimum of 50 hours work related placement and should be available to travel locally to partake in industry related events/work experience.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
3 GCSEs Grades A* - D including English Language (or equivalent). Alternatively, previous attainment of a Level 1 qualification in beauty therapy or hairdressing and/or a successful skills test and interview. Satisfactory reference from or School or College to indicate good behaviour, attendance and progress.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Ever since I can remember I have always enjoyed doing hair and beauty. Through the contacts that one of our tutors had, I obtained a job working in a spa. The practical skills I have gained from studying at CAVC have been amazing.
Need to know