About this course
This course is to enable students of all abilities to develop their Chinese (Mandarin) language skills to their full potential, equipping them with the knowledge to communicate in a variety of contexts with confidence.
Students will practise the four language skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking and are encouraged to use the target language wherever possible.
What you will study
The specification covers three distinct themes. These themes apply to all four question papers. Students are expected to understand and provide information and opinions about these themes relating to their own experiences and those of other people, including people in countries/communities where Chinese is spoken.
Students study all of the following themes on which the assessments are based.
Identity and culture
Local, national, international and global areas of interest
Current and future study and employment
The grammar requirements for GCSE Chinese (Mandarin) are set out in two tiers: Foundation Tier and Higher Tier.
GCSE students will be expected to have acquired knowledge and understanding of Chinese (Mandarin) grammar during their course. In the exam they will be required to apply their knowledge and understanding, appropriate to the relevant tier of entry.
Students will be expected to develop and use their knowledge and understanding of grammar, progressively throughout the course.
The minimum core vocabulary lists are primarily intended as a guide for teachers to assist in the planning of schemes of work.
The assessment tasks at Foundation Tier will require students to understand and respond to common or familiar and/or forms of words that are not on the vocabulary list.
The assessment tasks at Higher Tier will require students to understand and respond to words and/or forms of words that are not on the vocabulary list and which are less common or familiar than those used in relation to Foundation Tier assessments.
Vocabulary listed under a particular theme should be considered transferable, as appropriate, to the other themes.
Course fee per year
Exam Fee: £35.00
Course Fee: £375.00
There are no formal entry requirements for adult learners. Full-time students should have a minimum of 4 GCSEs at Grade D.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Need to know