About this course
Cardiff & Vale College specialises in offering courses that develop technical skills and knowledge alongside business acumen for management careers. The Foundation Degree in Service Sector Management is designed to offer an appropriate higher education progression route for students who have completed Level 3 vocational qualifications in areas such as:
- Hair & Beauty
- Catering & Hospitality
- Construction and the Built Environment
- Other service sector industries such as retail
Additionally, the course is appropriate for small business owners who operate in the service sector and wish to enrol upon a programme that could help them develop as a person and enhance their business's success. This programme also aims to develop the individual, as many professional bodies and Sector Skill Councils are prioritising the development of professional skills and competencies in addition to subject based knowledge.
What you will study
As many students will go on to run their own business or work for large corporate clients, course content covers key areas such as managing customers & quality, entrepreneurship & business start-ups and managing people. Students will have the opportunity to complete 60 credits of WBL specifically linked to their vocational discipline.
You will study the following modules:
- The management of financial information
- Business Context
- Academic and Professional Development
- Entrepreneurship and Business Start-up
- Managing Customers & Quality
- Sector Project
- Work Based Learning - Practice and Reflection
- Management of Projects
- Reflection on Practice
- Strategic Business Analysis
Pupils will be assessed via assignments and exams. This Foundation Degree will also allow students to study contextualised business content, complete a substantial work based learning portfolio linked to their vocational subject and undertake modules linked to professional development and reflection.
Please note: You can apply for this course either through UCAS or directly with the college.
If applying via UCAS please use the following details:
Course Code CS7D, University Code W01, Campus Code = F.
Course fee per year
Tuition Fees: £7,500.00
A-Level Offer – DD Applications to the course will be considered on an individual basis. Typical entry requirements are detailed below but if you don’t meet these criteria, then your work and life experience will be taken into consideration. Combinations of the qualifications below are acceptable and other qualifications not listed may also be acceptable.
Typical A-Level Offer - DD Typical BTEC Offer - relevant BTEC level 3 profile of Merit/Pass or Pass/Pass/Pass
Typical Welsh Bacc Offer - Grade C and DE at A Level
Typical Access to HE Offer - Pass Diploma with 60 credits overall to include 45 level 3 credits all Passes
Additionally, GCSE passes in three subjects at grade C or above to include Mathematics and English Language (or equivalent).
A successful interview may also be a requirement for entry onto the course.
Teaching and assessment
- Assessments including exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
My course tutor was brilliant and really helpful. Everything is available on the student portal and we were always kept up-to-date. I’m so pleased I’ve completed my course, I never thought I’d get a Foundation Degree so it’s a really pleasing moment for me.
Need to know