About this course
This is a 2-year part-time qualification, validated by the University of West London, for play assistants working within a healthcare setting. Developed in collaboration with the Hospital Play Staff Education Trust (HPSET), this programme has been designed to enable you, as a Level 3 Practitioner, to undertake the additional academic study and practice skills development required to work towards gaining graduate status as a healthcare play specialist. From the beginning you will be actively developing study skills and extending the knowledge and understanding necessary to develop your skills when working with sick children, young people and their families.
What you will study
Year 1 learning outcomes:
- Recognise the established principles for working with sick children, young people and their families and the way those principles have developed.
- Develop knowledge and understanding of child development theory and research related to specialised play and recreation.
- Explore opportunities to develop practice based on current theoretical, legal and ethical perspectives.
- Appraise your own professional practice through the development of personal, professional and strategic goals.
Year 2 learning outcomes:
- Analyse and demonstrate knowledge and critical understanding of the well-established principles for working with sick children and young people and the way those principles have developed.
- Evaluate and apply underlying concepts and principles of working with sick children and young people and the application of those principles in a work context to inform planning.
- Demonstrate the importance of reflection in implementing policy in practice.
- Critically evaluate the different approaches to solving problems and applying these in a work context.
- Assess, review and evaluate theoretical perspectives relevant to Children and Young People: Leadership and Management roles in working with sick children and young people.
A variety of teaching methods will be used in support of the module outcomes. Assessment methods used include: academic essays, literature review, written reports, folder of evidence and exercises through Moodle (the College Virtual Learning Environment) - assessment of practical skills within the workplace is also undertaken at Levels 4 and 5.
Monday 10:00 - 15:00
Course fee per year
Tuition Fees: £4,600.00
DBS Check: £44.00
A Level 3 qualification in Early Years or a related field with two year's post qualification work experience, again in a related field. Candidates will also need to be able to demonstrate/evidence Literacy and Numeracy Skills at Level 2. The programme of study is open to both staff employed in the sector and volunteer staff. Applicants are expected to have arranged their work placement prior to enrolment on the programme.
Teaching and assessment
- Written assessments and online assessments and work based assessments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I live in Bristol and travel to the City Centre Campus by Train and the experience here has been great. I have had a range of tutors and have been able to build good relationships with them. With smaller class sizes, it was great to get to know everyone, and it’s helped me get where I am today. From my experience I’d say, it’s a great opportunity but you’ve got to be committed to put in the hours outside of just your tutored hours. If you’re passionate about it, then go for it.
Need to know