About this course
If you are keen to work with children, or if you are already employed within the sector and are wishing to further your career, then this could be the perfect course for you! This programme teaches the full range of skills for working with children and young people from birth to 19 years, and is the ideal route into professional childcare, teaching or other work with children and young people; it is an ideal professional development opportunity for other professionals such as nurses and health visitors. Providing both lecture-room study and practical work experience, this course has strong links to many local employers, enabling you to develop knowledge and understanding of the issues faced by people working in the children and young people’s sector, whilst also offering excellent opportunities for employment or further study.
What you will study
Students will study the professional aspects of working with children and young people including:
- Leading Work in Children and Young People’s Services
- Champion Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Theories of Development
- Children and Young People’s Health and Well-being
- Communication and Partnership
- Curriculum Matters
Assessments will be made up of written assignments, reports, seminars, debates and presentations, portfolios, and projects within the workplace.
Please note: You can apply for this course either through UCAS or directly with the college.
If applying via UCAS please use the following details:
Course Code: LX53, University Code: W01, Campus Code: E
Course fee per year
Tuition Fees: £7,500.00
DBS Check: £44.00
Additional, GCSE passes in three subjects at grade C or above to include Mathematics and English Language (or equivalent). Alternative acceptable level 3 qualifications include NNEB, CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education, Level 3 Diploma in Children's Care, Learning and Development and Level 3 Diploma in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools.
Teaching and assessment
- Written assignments and continuous assessments including portfolio
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I started studying a Level 3 in Childcare Education; I then progressed onto the Foundation Degree. Through that, I’ve met so many new people and I’ve got a new job! The tutors have been amazing, in helping me complete the course. If there are any issues that you have whilst studying then there is plenty of support here for you. It has been tough but really, really amazing at the same time. I’ve had experiences here that I never would have had if I hadn’t studied here. If you’re interested I’d say go for it! You can balance studying alongside your work and the college will support you along the way.
Need to know