About this course
Our BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computing continues on from the one year BTEC Foundation Diploma in Computing and is equivalent to three A Levels. Students achieving this qualification will either go on to study a computing or IT related qualification at University or enter employment.
This is a growth area for employment opportunities as the number of IT devices continues to grow, the demand for staff able to manage a networking environment grows, and it will continue to increase. Skills range from identifying and replacing basic components of a PC to connecting a network of PCs within a company, enabling businesses to communicate with the world and operate on a global scale. Security, creating and managing safe IT environments are crucial elements to building a successful business and companies have to develop strategies to eradicate viruses and prevent hacking wherever possible. Networking is also an exciting area of the computing profession, and offers enjoyable and challenging career opportunities.
What you will study
In this Extended Diploma in Computing you will study units including:
- Planning and Management of Computer Projects
- Software Design and Development Projects
- Impact of Computing
- Computer Games Development
- Computer Networking
When you have chosen your course we highly recommend you register to the Career Ready programme. This is a programme that runs alongside your course to ensure a transformational journey, and is designed to help you enter the world of work or University with the confidence, skills and professional networks needed to fulfil your potential.
We will provide you with a mentor, workplace visits, master classes and work based experiences, which may also include an internship. All of which will work together and build on your studies to help you develop the skills and confidence needed to succeed in future careers.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
National Foundation Diploma in Computing. Reference from Course Tutor indicating good behaviour, 90%+ attendance and suitability
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessments including written exams and written assessments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
The two aspects of College I have most enjoyed is how the College is preparing me for work not just teaching me what the course states. And also all of the amazing people I have met, from the students to the staff.
Need to know