About this course
Our Level 2 Diploma in Health & Social Care is a one-year full-time course, and is perfect for those individuals who are keen to further develop there skills and knowledge in the field. This programme is aimed at students seeking a career in the Health or Social Care industry, and pupils can expect to gain a good basic understanding of the requirements in any care field. Studying in the colleges dedicated classrooms and facilities, learners will undertake regular work placements and follow a broad vocational programme of study.
What you will study
Topics studied can include:
- Individual needs
- Anatomy and physiology
- Human lifespan development
As this course does not specialise in a specific care area or client group, it gives you a good basic understanding for employment in any care field. Therefore, it provides a foundation for candidates who wish to study further to pursue a career in Nursing, Midwifery, Social Work or as a Paramedic within the Health Care sector or Uniformed Services.
On completion of this course, you will have a nationally recognised Level 2 Health & Social Care qualification. This is the equivalent to 4 GCSEs at levels A*- C.
You will also gain the following Essential Skills qualifications:
- Application of Number
Students will usually attend college for 3 days per week and placement for one day per week. This course is a flexible Learning Programme, so we would welcome enquiries from anyone who is interested in it as it is, or in an adapted form to meet the needs of their present career aspirations.
Note: Learners studying Childcare or Health and Social Care courses should be aware that it is a requirement of the course that all learners working with children or in a care setting have to have a full enhanced disclosure DBS check.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
3 GCSEs Grade A* - C including English Language. Maths must be at A* - D. OR Health & Social Care Level 1, including GCSE English Language at A* - C and Maths at A* - D. Or BTEC Level 2 Pass, including GCSE English Language A* - C and Maths at D or above. Satisfactory DBS check and reference.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment and two exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I did look around colleges before deciding on where to go, but Cardiff and Vale College provided the course information that I wanted. We have done quite a lot of reports and case studies but also looked into how the human brains works, so we can understand many forms of disabilities, both mental and physical. From my time at CAVC I can say that the staff are very friendly, I’ve also made a lot of friends and just generally enjoyed my time here.
Need to know