About this course
The qualification has been developed for individuals working in, or intending to work, in the healthcare and social care sectors. It is targeted at learners in work based learning, further education, and school 6th forms. It will enable learners to apply for registration with Social Care Wales as a social care worker in domiciliary care or residential child care providing that they meet any additional registration requirements.
What you will study
The qualification will provide a thorough introduction to the principles, values and knowledge needed to work in the healthcare and social care sectors with adults and children and young people.
The content for this qualification supports learners to develop their knowledge and understanding of:
- the core principles and values which underpin health and social care practice
- ways of working in the health and social care sectors
- effective practice within health and social care
- progression routes to further study or employment within Health and Social Care safeguarding
Note: Learners studying Childcare or Health and Social Care courses should be aware that it is a requirement of the course that all learners working with children or in a care setting have to have a full enhanced disclosure DBS check.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
3 GCSEs Grade A* - C including English Language. Maths must be at A* - D. OR Health & Social Care Level 1, including GCSE English Language at A* - C and Maths at A* - D. Or BTEC Level 2 Pass, including GCSE English Language A* - C and Maths at D or above. Satisfactory DBS check and reference.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment and two exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
I did look around colleges before deciding on where to go, but Cardiff and Vale College provided the course information that I wanted. We have done quite a lot of reports and case studies but also looked into how the human brains works, so we can understand many forms of disabilities, both mental and physical. From my time at CAVC I can say that the staff are very friendly, I’ve also made a lot of friends and just generally enjoyed my time here.
Need to know