About this course
The ESOL element of the course focuses on the language skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking. Grammar and specialist vocabulary related to catering also form a very important part of the course.
This course is available at:
- 16 hours a week
What you will study
The course compromises 16 hours of teaching per week:
- 3 hours of Hospitality and Catering
- 10 hours of ESOL
- 3 hours of Numeracy.
The modules for this course will include:
- Maintenance of a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Working effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Preparation and cooking meat, poultry and vegetables
- Maintaining food safety when preparing, storing and cooking food
This NVQ Level 1 Certificate in Food Preparation and Cooking is for the more practical learner and will provide you with a very good insight into the catering industry. Learners will have an opportunity to work in the College kitchens at our new Campus.
The course will deliver the basic skills of professional cookery within the catering industry, including literacy and numeracy necessary to follow recipes and take orders. You will also work on personal and social skills throughout the year.
Students who enrol on these courses need to be fully committed as we expect an attendance rate of 100% Students whose attendance drops below 90% will be at risk of losing their places.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Assessment at Level 1. Alternatively, successful achievement of Entry Level 3 and satisfactory reference from tutor to indicate good behaviour, attendance and progress.
Teaching and assessment
- Regular assignments and regular assessments and end of year assessment
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came over from Romania two and half years ago. I began at the college studying ESOL, and have now progressed onto studying an Access Course in BTEC Applied Science. My ESOL course was a really helpful course, and everyone was friendly.
Need to know